Running Out of Space (a poem for daydreamers, astrophysicists and runner's high junkies)


Within the jurisdiction of the Atlantic’s salty breezes
the smooth meandering road
vanishes
gobbled up
consumed by expensive running shoes
dissolving into glare.

I can see to the subatomic level
            I am intimately acquainted with the quasars
            erupting from each tiny aperture
            of the blacktop galaxy.
           
Following the yellow line
I could run this walk this bike this
on my hands and knees crawl this from sea to sea
Oh infinite road
I utter
shout
pant
proclaim clichés in your honor.

Or what if this shady curve
painted with gently dancing silhouettes
of scrubby crooked pines
is the whole road
the entire multiverse
or whatever they are calling it now?

I’d be okay with that
and can’t help wondering
whether we are naive
to expect another road around the bend
some infinite intersecting labyrinth
of highways …

It is more likely
that I am merely riding this piece of asphalt
like a treadmill in empty space
or at least it feels that way

as I stop for water.


For more of my recent work go to

Comments