Doing Nothing

I could scale the Himalayas
with nothing but the kink in my back
but lying on the floor is just as good

I could watch the world begin and end
explode and resume
on television
but doing nothing is more remarkable

I could treat my tongue to warm molasses
and my hands to supple flesh
but my inhalations are just as sweet

I could solve all the equations
move beyond physics
make a real effort to know
but the back of my eyelids make me just as wise

I could get down on my knees
and pray for a pile of blessings
but the view from here offers genuine
Immortality

I could smile about this or that or the other
thing
but this smile I smile
is only just the joy of the ages –
I breathe in Himalayas and Angry Vengeful Gods
and swirl them into pudding
I beam
for past and future mountains in my mind
for the winter sunlight on my eyelids
for the scripture on the ceiling

The gospel says
Don’t follow                           
Don’t lead                               
Just go.

These strange hieroglyphs       
shout                                      
remain

Don’t capitulate to movement
Don’t embrace this happiness too hard
Don’t let your ego write a poem you fool.



Comments