Losing Faith


Thru my bedroom window
I follow glimpses of a world
Much different than the one I sleepwalk through
Most mornings.

Them crows on the desolate branches
Don’t think of themselves as
Doom or death
As they huddle against autumn.
They don’t see themselves as omens of anything –
I lie here feeling silly for all of us.

They seem to know what they’re doing
Where they’re going
Now landing on a wire with
Eight hundred and seventy four
Of their closest chums, leaving me to wonder
Whether this pattern was discussed in the huddle

And though all I see are crooked, boney silhouettes
Against the morning almost-light
With their wraithlike squawking guests
Thru the narrow space where the curtain comes short,
The world is somehow bigger this way and more remarkable
The community they inhabit is more authentic
Than the one I will rise to…eventually –
I imagine all the talking cartoon animals of childhood at once
And wish I could will superstitions into being.

My problem is I can’t stop there –
Before I genuflect, I want to be sure of the outcome
I want to taste the candy without unwrapping it,
To rest on clouds without dying
To know that she’ll love me always
Before I say hello.
.
How lucky is the rabbit
With his foot in the trap?
            



Published on
Dead Snakes
November 2013

Comments