An Ode To Eric, I Think




Ordinary life –
a Gregory Corso connection
- I thought I saw Eric at a rest stop
on the New York State Thruway that same day my son had his surgery

it might have been him for all I know
            I never saw him lifeless -
                        believe in his death
                        like my mother believes in the Saints

he wasn’t my best friend
hell
had hardly known him long
            just a guy that roomed with my high school buddy near the South Campus
of a college I didn’t go to –

we used to listen to Dylan bootlegs,
drink the next-up-from-cheapest beer
(probably something Canadian)
all winter long
            and wonder
            why we never got laid

wasn’t that much to my life
            not my wife giving birth
            not my boy in the back seat still loopy from the anesthesia
            not a great teacher who made me a poet or a bum

but when you travel cross-country with a guy,
            row a boat somebody left
            near a lake in Kansas
with a tennis racquet
& a bottle of harsh Whiskey till that puddle in the center of the continent is all there is
            & the reeds
            & the radio

and the radio is running out of batteries
melting The Who
            but the moon is whiskey-warmed,
            no one is almost out of cigarettes surprisingly
                        and what the fuck are you doing in a lake in Kansas
           
-it killed Eric to play citizen I think

or else that fall from grace
            a drunken night
                        just a few years later

Extraordinary life
a Gregory Corso connection
I thought I saw Eric
holding hands with a woman
as they passed the sunglasses stand.



Published by Poetry Super Highway 
August 2010
http://poetrysuperhighway.com/ppa/ppa668.html


Comments